Challenger Job-Cut Report (February 2014)
- Announced Layoffs 41,835. Previous was 45,107
Gallup US Payroll to Population (February 2014)
- Payroll/Population 43.1. Previous was 42.0.
This is a positive bit of data but it is based on a survey of 1,000 adults. Tomorrow's BLS report will tell us a more accurate Labor Participation Rate.
Jobless Claims (week ended March 1, 2014)
- New Claims (seasonally adjusted) 323,000. Previous revised to 338,000
- 4-week Moving Average (seasonally adjusted) 336,500. Previous 338,250
- New Claims (unadjusted) totaled 317,183 an increase of 5,702 from the previous week.
Worker Productivity and Costs (4thQ2013)
- Nonfarm productivity Quarter/Quarter (seasonally adjusted, annualized) 1.8%. Previous revised to +3.5%
- Unit labor costs Quarter/Quarter (seasonally adjusted, annualized) -0.1%. Previous revised to -2.1%.
This data points to an increasing problem for jobs - employers continue to get more GDP/(hour worked) and the demand for jobs decreases.
Factory Orders (January 2014)
- Orders Month/Month -0.7%. Previous was revised down to -2.0%.
This is all Factory Orders - durable and non-durable goods. We have seen this week data suggesting that the supply side had gotten ahead of the demand side and are seeing naturalcorrecting moves. When all is said and done the consumer sets the pace.