Challenger Job-Cut Report (May 2018)
- Announced Layoffs 31,517. Previous was 36,081
Initial Jobless Claims (week ended 5/26/2018)
- New Claims seasonally adjusted 221,000. Previous was 234,000
- New Claims unadjusted, totaled 201,374 a decrease of 5,669 from previous
- 4-week Moving Average 222,250. Previous was 219,750
Personal Income and Outlays (April 2018)
- Personal Income month/month +0.3%. Previous was +0.2%
- Consumer Spending month/month +0.6%. Previous was +0.5%
- PCE Price Index month/month +0.2%. Previous was +0.0%
- Core PCE price index month/month +0.2%. Previous was +0.2%
- PCE Price Index year/year +2.0%. Previous was +2.0%
- Core PCE price index year/year +1.8%. Previous was +1.8%
Increased Consumer Spending may, of the surface, seem to be good but much of the increase in spending was
not buying more stuff but paying more for gasoline and utilities. The Savings Rate regressed to 2.8%.
Chicago PMI (May 2018)
- Business Barometer Index 62.7. Previous was 57.6
This is a supply side survey metric for the Chicago area.
Pending Home Sales Index (April 2018)
- Pending Home Sales month/month -1.3%. Previous was +0.6%
- Pending Home Sales Index 106.4. Previous was 107.8
Last week showed Existing Home Sales down.