Personal Income and Outlays (August 2018)
- Personal Income month/month 0.3%. Previous was +0.3%
- Consumer Spending month/month 0.3%. Previous was +0.4%
- PCE Price Index month/month 0.1%. Previous was +0.1%
- Core PCE price index month/month 0.0%. Previous was +0.2%
- PCE Price Index year/year 2.2%. Previous was +2.3%
- Core PCE price index year/year 2.0%. Previous was +2.0%
The important thing for mortgage interest rates is the dead flat core PCE Price Index. PCE is an inflation metric which looks at what consumers actually buy. The dip in Personal Spending could indicate slower 3rdQ 2018 GDP growth.
Chicago PMI (September 2018)
- Business Barometer Index 60.4. Previous was 63.6
This supply side indicator shows growth but at a slower pace.
Consumer Sentiment (September 2018)
- Sentiment Index 100.1. Previous was 96.2
This in only the 3rd time since January 2004 that this index has been over 100.0.
This is the metric from the University of Michigan's Consumer Survey Center. It samples 600 households asking people what their spending plans for the near future are.